Monday, September 30, 2024

Onboarding

 

It's Q3 2024 already (if your FY is Jan-Dec)

While my year has not concluded I can already summarize it in one aspect.
Onboarding year.

In December 2023 I changed jobs & joined a new organisation in the Retail industry with the largest furniture company.
I went through the typical 6 months probation/onboarding for new hires-
where HR inducted me to the 8 core values & introduced other formalities,  Ashley delegated me interesting tasks & looped me into projects,
my assigned buddy Colin helped me settle down. Made more Digital co-worker friends; Jason, Sue Ann, Nhi, KJ, Justin, the Insight guys etc. Went for lunch daily with the crews. I experienced Front Days where I got to be AFK for 3 days to join store co-workers selling during peak days.The company policy inhibits PTO utilisation during probation so I had to soldier through the longest unbreakable working stretch I ever had. But it’s good environment & spirit was high. A forward-dated confirmation letter was issued by HR. Approaching my probation completion date, in response to market challenges- a business restructuring exercise was announced where my entire team was part of the casualty. My first taste of a career upset after escaping couple of layoffs through my work history.
I was out of work by the time my onboarding completed.

I immediately pursued a low hanging fruit opportunity and secured new role by mid year.
And now in another 6 months onboarding cycle with the national courier.
Going through HR inductions and learning their 6 core values, trying to make new work friends, learning the job/business, the whole shebang.
Part of the onboarding experience was the 'check ride' where we tagged along in delivery vans sending parcels to customer addresses -  very interesting.
So far I feel like the work-life balance here is better. But I realize it's still too early to tell.
I am more cautious of any attachment with the workplace as the Tech job market is harder to read & job security is myth now.
It has become more a popular approach for corporations to let go staff as an immediate way to bring down operation cost and register profit.
In consultant-speak :trimming, getting lean, combining cost centers, etc.

Two unplanned onboarding cycles in a year.
If there's Onboarding fatigue, I'm probably having it.

While I am appreciative of having a job at times it feels like a drag and I need to psyche myself up to work another day.
There are moments I'm even counting days for retirement- 20 odd years to go (if I make it).
But post-retirement is another beast of its own. No way of telling how ours will be.

Recently I saw someone write: The salary is the monthly subscription company pays for services you rendered to them.
Apt way to put it!

No comments:

Disclaimer

All content provided on this blog is for leisure & informational purposes only. The owner of this blog makes no representations to any party he may be a part of, or guarentee the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. The owner will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information. Contents are generally individual reflections of thought & stories of the blog.
Thanks for stopping by! you are alright.